Actually, ThinkGood,
IMHO technology drives the code. There are manufactures out there who are submitting requests for changes in the code, as well as building equipment to meet the code. This is all for the purpose of getting their products out in the market place. If you take a look at the say, an early 50's code, and compare it to today's code, you'll see. The question may be, how well does the NEC keep up with technology?
The particular situation that you are talking about above, really has to do with planning. If I was going to build a house, and I knew that I was going to put a lot of equipment in one location, I would make provisions for it.
The NEC is limited in what it can do. Notice: 90.1 (B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.
FPN:Hazards often occur because of overloading of wiring systems by methods or usage not in conformity with this Code. This occurs because initial wiring did not provide for increases in the use of electricity. An initial adequate installation and reasonable provisions for system changes will provide for future increases in the use of electricity.

The moderator here can shed much more light on this subject than I can. Don knows a lot about the code making process. I hope he will chime in on this thread.

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX