you may recall that I had a very horrendus experience with AFCIs a while back. I do NOT care if the are required or not I WILL NOT WARRENT them. All my proposals so state.
That will be my policy untill the companies that make them pay me for the service calls that they cause. All of them will replace the AFCIs at the parts house without problem if you were the one who purchased it. But they will not pay for your labor or other costs.
I have had several service calls from very unhappy customers of other contractors about problems with them. Sometimes I was able to find a reason the breaker would trip and other times not. Untill a proven reliable AFCI tester is availble, a lot of time is wasted trying to find a fault in a circuit that works without any evidence of a problem untill an AFCI is installed.
Most customers
are not going to pay for no results.
Replacing the AFCI with a real C/B is what they want.
Convincing them that a much more expensive item that cost them money and aggravation is better for them than a cheaper item that works is almost impossible. It is also a sure way for them to call some one else. After all they called me when another contractors warrenty was still in effect.
[Linked Image]

ed