I've tried a rotary-hammer once and wasn't very impressed. The combination I was using may have had something to do with it. I had better luck with a sledge. The rotary hammer was one of the big bosch's, can't remember the #... SDS Max, I believe. I'd used it to core drill a 2" hole and figured, that since I'd paid the damage waiver on the rental, I'd give driving a rod a shot. (I know, that probably wasn't a cool thing to do...)

It didn't work well.

The only thing that has actually impressed me is a Bosch electric jack hammer. But I ain't liftin' 90 lbs eight feet up! Besides, they're a couple grand I think!

Would a ground plate require a smaller hole, and would it offer less resistance/impedance and be a more effective electrode?

What about Ufers?

Txsparky, No problem on this particular one, the trench was extended and back filled today. Plus this installion will only be here about a year. Since this is a future golf course, (the Greenbrier) I'm trying to plan for better grounding options if/when the time comes and I'm called upon. I'm just trying to explore more options for the not-too-distant future, but I want to really offer electrodes that work.

Am I right to assume that ground rods are practically useless in these soil conditions?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-01-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI