Bill,
perhaps i've painted a poor pix, my bad...

The majority of residential sewer pumps i see are external from the house, bettween the house and mound system.

They are round concrete w/ a cover. The pump & pump balls, as well as the alarm ball, is tiewraped to a 2" pvc riser down 'in the hole'.

The S cords from the above are usually terminated in a box just inside the top cover, on the inside of the tank. I've seen quite the few aluminum w/p boxes rotted to next to nothing , so i'm assuming methane is corrosive.

The motor needs a disco, and the disco can be the male cord cap small motor, so as the enviroment would require an encapsulating cover. Because the cord caps are 'stackable', in that the high/low balls are a cord cap 'switch' that the motor cord cap plugs into, the average cover will not close, not enough depth.

The overfill alarm is mounted in the cellar usually.... [Linked Image]

Admittedly, the location, being somewhat unpalatable to diagnosing has also driven me to advocate the pedastal. (gotta almost stand on yer head in a sewwwy hole, drop a tool & say bye bye...)

I have lately mounted an FS box on a pedestal, with a switch instead, usually this is something i try and hide on the vent riser. I've caught some grief from homeowners to this end, and have only been backed up once in a rare occasion
by an inspector ( gotta sent him a bottle next X-mas...) [Linked Image]

The larger municipal systems i've worked on all are as Chris desribes,pedestals are the norm. Motor Diagnosis is done comfortably...It must be mentioned that OSHA confined space article is enforced (amazingly, given the 'tude here in the great white North..), a tripod and harness is used for the dude who draws the short straw, two spotters & an air exchanger are present. (all involved then buy said dude who retrives the bad motor his coffee the rest of the week...)

The methods/codes should apply universally, yes?no?
[Linked Image]