HLCbuild

Once again I must be missing something, but 210.8(A)(7) seems to refer to sinks...not to the laundry room.

From the 2005 NEC
210.8(A)(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

If you have a sink in the laundry room any receptacle installed within 6' of that must be GFCI protected.

If the sink happens to be near the receptacle for the washer that one must also be GFCI protected.

There are no exceptions to 210.8(A)(7)

I'd think that 210.8(A)(5)exception 2 would allow you to put in a single non-gfi receptacle for the washing machine if it were in the basement and did not have a sink to drain into, but rather a washer box or stand pipe.

I agree, but keep in mind this exception will very likely vanish when the 2008 NEC comes out. And if in the basement if there is a sink within 6' of the washer receptacle the exception to 210.8(A)(5) will not apply at all.

If the laundry is located in the upper level of the house with no sink (just a washer box) it shouldn't need to even have a single receptacle to be non-gfi protected.

Again I agree under the conditions you describe.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts