A couple of random thoughts:

- It's a disaster rebuild. I would not expect things to return to normal.... ever! In the race to get thing up and running again, I expect that there are lots of 'good enough' stuff taking place. It is also doubtful anyone will return and 'do it right' before it breaks, or the next hurricane comes along;

- Romex, like any other wiring method, needs to be attached to the panel. The bid PVC fitting may work, but it's not correct.
Connectors do two things. One, as mentioned, is provide strain relief; wull on the cable, and the force never makes it to the wire connections. The other is, the connector keeps sparks in the box- and not in the wall, to start a fire. This is why we use knock out seals as well.

- Shared neutrals, as well as reduced neutrals, are far less forgiving. As we use more electronics, I expect the reduced neutral will be limited to feeders- and branch circuits will all get full size (or even over size) neutrals.
Kind of wonder just how one would use a 'reduced', or even 'shared', neutral with romex, though! Such an approach would have to have been designed into the cable.