$6,800 for a SE ATS... is this ASCO you're looking at? I don't blame you for considering other options!

Are we talking about single phase, 120/240V here? And what kind of genset are we talking about?

If the genset utilizes a simple two-wire start, you can get the GE ZTX40MX60 400A ATS in 3R for probably just under $2,000. It's a good switch in my opinion; Onan labeled switches are made by GE (just slightly different firmware on the board). It's not SE rated, but you can get a GE Q-Line 400A breaker (TJD422Y400) for around $600 from your supply house, plus the 3R enclosure. You'll probably get done with everything for just under $3,000.

I know GE also makes a 400A fused disco for around $600, had one spec'd out on another job, but it's not 3R, and you mentioned you can't go indoors.

If the genset is a Generac and depending on the engine size, you've probably got it made. The RTS appears to fit the bill quite perfectly. The RTS series is service entrance rated, and the 400A RTS-E400 can probably be had for around $1,900. It also seems to have a smaller footprint than the GE box (much slimmer).

Joe

[This message has been edited by JJM (edited 08-15-2006).]