1 Yes, and No.... Architecture maybe....
2 If I have one it will be his first job, in the very least - theres nothing like slaving for dad right?
3 ARE YOU KIDDING! My shop is short constantly, my last shop was short, my next shop will be short, there are not enough able-minded people out there! Too many people went into computer programing and other things like web design, now they are a dime a dozen - and Trades are short.
4 It seems not, between Electricians and plumbers, as well as every other blue collar trade, there is a shortage all the way around.
5 Not good to play the race card, I have worked with many fine Mexican Electricians, as well as Irish, German, French, Russian, Honduran, Philipino's, Chinese, Aussie, NZ, English - ALL with either Green Cards or citizenship. Although it is illegal to even ask, my former and current employer always do.... All well trained, And I'll say this and duck, most of the American born guys I have worked with lately can be quite lazy. It seems work ethic is a dying art here in my own/our country..... But thats another story. As far as illegals go, most end up in landscraping, roofing, framing or concrete and from what I can tell, for lack of interest of anyone else. I see that as the main problem. If you talk to people who do hire illegal, they'll tell it is not economic or without risk, many will say that they would even hire the Welfare to Work, homeless +/or druggies if they showed up to work and didn't steel from them. Believe it or not, most work hard, and get paid well....
6 Far less demand in electronics, as most things are made disposable due to planned obsolecense law, and the IC. It is often cheaper to replace than repair, but there is work in the field, although waning due to out-sourcing, and reasons like cheap shipping. An Electrician will never be out-sourced!
7 Have know many who have travelled the world doing it, so long as learning does not stop, we all do things a little differently....
8 Depends on what you feel is "Best"? I certainly would not say roofing... But many find satisfaction in cabinetry, and finish carpentry, like anything else, there is a high-end and low end to that type of work. Some people like Low Voltage, some High Voltage....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason