Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
That is a question that may not have a specific answer. Even though, in practice, many tasks are often carried out "Live", as Bennie says, it is usually out of convenience not necessity. How can you tell someone that it is acceptable to risk Injury or worse?

Even using myself as a example, there are times that I will work on an energized system, and times I will not. It is not always for the same reason. Sometimes, I will just not feel comfortable doing it live that day and will request a shut down - even though it may be a task I have performed many times in identical situations. I feel that working live requires a cool head, a steady hand and a degree of concentration. When one of those is out of place, I usually just won't do it. That is what causes accidents.

I would like to see more opinions on this.

Bill;
You took the words right out of my mouth, more like my fingers [Linked Image]. Everyone in the trade knows how that feels to be a little "Off The Norm" on a project, usually brought on by what happened on the way to the job that morning [cut off by some clown on the freeway and nearly had an accident, lost wallet, etc.]. That's definitely not the time to work on a hot 480 v 3 phase 3 wire corner grounded Delta subpanel [or any other panels and/or system voltage].
What's funny is that I didn't know that too many other people felt this way, as a lot of the contractors that I had worked for when I was in my twenties would go balistic and call you a pansy if you didn't feel completely secure that day to dive into live switchgear and land those subfeed breakers!! Luckilly, since the early 1990's, I have been fortunate enough to be in the position where I don't need to work for another Electrical Subcontractor, so the whole working on hot equipment situation has completely changed and I will only work on live equipment if it just cannot be shut down without causing problems. If so, none of the guys working for or with me will be required to work the hot gear [I will do it], unless I absolutely need someone elses help.
Went through enough headaches and BS on the job when I was a kid to know it sucks! Damned if I'll turn around and make someone else do it now!

To sum up this message; You, Bennie and Don have said a mouthful in relatively few words. Very few situations call for working on hot equipment, but where [or when] it is considered to be Allowable Situations - as far as OSHA is considered - is unknown to me, other than with proper protective gear + proper training for the type system; to diagnose system performances and troubleshoot, or if the location cannot be powered down without some major catastrophy occuring.
I personally would like a LOTO program and devices to be as "Idiot Proof" as possible, having been the sorry victim of a determined moron turning on breakers because they wanted to use the copier so bad and couldn't wait another 10 minutes, then to find out that the copier's power switch was turned off and that's why it wasn't working.. not because the breaker I had tagged / locked off in the 277 volt panel was feeding it [sounds stupid, but it happened and BOY I was PISSED !!]

I'll go back to my room now [Linked Image]

Scott "S.E.T."

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!