California is currently dealing with some major changes on how people enter the trade. Most of which has not been figured out yet. A law was signed several years ago, and just enstated at the begining of the year.

Re:http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU_FAQ.htm

Currently this law is creating an artificial shortage of electricians IMO. Employers need "Certified Journeymen" for the most part, as they can work alone, or to surpervise non-certified personel on a 1-1 basis. (So if you have too many Indians and not enough chiefs you have a problem. The real problem is there are not enough of either at this point.)

On the Union/Non-union thing, GA76Apprentice is right, we try to totally avoid the issue here, otherwise everyone starts beating thier chests like baboons and conversation just spirals into the niether world.

Since you mention the Bay Area, I think I can safely assume you are attending school in Hayawrd? (School #109?) I believe they have a night program that you may, or may not be able to get into, which would free you up to work more and make you more attractive to employers. But, like I said, there is a shortage, and many shops are now more willing to take on part-time guys. But in your case (New to the game) you're gonna have to learn that some people will just hang up the phone on you, and others will not. i.e. the Union will only hire out of thier Hall, ever, period. Don't take it personally, it is the way it is. So if you are "Cold Calling" just scratch those off your list, unless you join the union. On the other hand thier are LOTS of jobs out there. (For instance my shop is short 5 guys right now in SF.) You just need to know where to look... An ad in any Bay Area paper in the Jobs Classifieds costs about $500 a day. Emlployers have for the most part moved to places like Craigslist to post jobs. Some supply houses also are posting jobs on bulliten boards. Then of course word of mouth....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason