Well said, SE!. If BS were counted like donations, I'd have received as much as the Red Cross and Salvation Army combined!

However- there was a recent proposal to the NEC that defined any PE as the "expert." While it may be fair to expect every electrician to know that "Klein pliers" is not German for "very small hand tool," it struck me as absurd to define a bridge-building PE as having more expertise than the combined membership of the IBEW.

Pick any college you want, and look at the courseload for an electrical engineer. While they MIGHT have a course or two that is of use to the power company, it is quite concievable that their best students graduate without ever even hearing of the NEC- let alone ever seeing a copy. Theirs' is a different 'trade' entirely, only incidentally concerned with running wires from "point A" to "point B"- then making something work!

Let me put it this way: if I want to understand how my radar-guided laser fly zapper works, an EE is the guy to ask. But- to get power to it so it works, the Sparky is the man!