At our utility, I was asked to take a replacement transformer out to a job site where the line crew was. The damaged transformer was in the pasture, and there was a young, but full grown Brahman bull that kept getting curious as to what we were doing. All the guys on the crew are ranchers, so they just kept shooing him away everytime he got too close. When the job was done, we all went to our trucks to leave.

As soon as I got into my truck, the bull "mounted" the hood of the truck and proceeded to have his way with the radiator. There was a hoof on the left side of the windshield, another on the right, and this huge head with horns, a drooling tongue, and eyes rolled up into its head about 12 inches from my face. The truck is bouncing up and down like a roller coaster.

Oh yeah, and there were also about 8 linemen literally rolling on the ground, laughing at me....asking, "Why don't you get out??"

Needless to say, they made sure the entire utility knew about it within the hour. The only good thing about that was I didn't have to explain the dents in the hood.

I've been run out of a pasture by a llama (in the dark they're 12 feet tall and have fangs), played ring around the meter pole with another bull, had a half grown Bengal tiger (the customers pet)come running across the yard to meet me, dodged several snakes, and had a friend step on an alligator while walking out a line at night.

Never a dull moment at a rural utility!