Heh. This happens all too often. The company that does the drywall where I'm at has a drywall inspector.
Well he will walk the houses and spray markings all over the floor telling the drywallers where to cut holes out and what shape they are.

But I have the best...
I walked into a single family house, stepped in the garage looking around... "Hey, wheres the panel?". LOL!!!
Them guys covered up the whole damn panel:-) Cut out the low voltage (On-Q) panel right beside it, but noooo covered my crap up.
So I got em back... Couple houses later I found texture spray all inside my panel and the cardboard was still overtop the panel (I don't know, don't ask). So I backcharged them for a new panel and the labor to install it hehehe.

Here sometimes we will backcharge the drywall for every covered box, but now we play nice with them and if they don't charge us for damaging drywall around boxes, we don't charge em for covering them up.

I'll tell you though, I've gotten very good at finding covered up boxes, just a quick run of the hand over the suspected spot and you will find the lump.