No antagonism at all; no problem.

Then does that mean that Bob Metcalf, who invented Ethernet at xerox before starting 3com, is working with you? That's cool. I thought the specification for the 10mbps baseband network became a general IEEE standard, 802.2, in the 1980s, but I'd forgotten that at one point there was the DEC/Intel/Xerox group offering a similar thing.

The mode of pre-existing sessions / connections you proposed is far more similar to the way the mainframe does it, and it is indeed a lot more efficient. The other thing one notices though is that the fork() call and its equivalents carry different overheads in different kernels or environments. Java and NT are pretty heavy, but most unix kernels seem to have a comparatively low overhead for starting a process.

At work we've all been told to read this article here, and find out more about this sort of thing from wherever we can with a view to the next phase of our project. (we will be delivering real-time streamed proofs of printers plates for approval etc before sending them to the plate-making machine, and of necessity at that point is is all 'tiny bits', as rendering it into colour-separated TIFFS does not occur till after the approval.
http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php

It is using a similar approach to that which gives the remarkable new map application in Google its superb responsiveness, and does so *without* bringing the servers to their knees.

My favourite OSs for networks are OS390 and Solaris. Would you follow either of those designs, or do you prefer another design?