Oh how I hate "booties". If you're worried about accidents with guys going around in thier socks, think about what it will be like when they fall from a ladder from a slippery bootie, or trip over them as they walk. (Un-deniable comp' claim!) I have had some close calls on ladders with them, and refuse to wear them!

Normally, the GC will put site protection in contract for carpet and floor protection on-site. It is after all a "work" site, even if it is someones house. If it is work we do on our own, we put it in contrct. There a thousand ways to do it, but covering the floor for protective reasons is going to save in the long run. IMO! Booties are just plain impeding to production. Ladders, tools, debries, spilled paint etc. dropping on the floor will do far more damage than foot traffic. Especially, if going in and out of an attic. Most GC's we work with will do the whole work area in craft paper, than thermoply over that. Pull it up when the job is done, save the thermoply for the next job, toss the paper. We use this stuff called "carpetech"(?), its plastic stick down runner, and good old fashion drop-cloths to suppliment it, and some good house-keeping at the end of the day. Add the cost to the job...

We use stuff simular to this: http://www.carpetbarrier.com/carpetbarrier.htm

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason