ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat Booties.. - 03/20/05 05:19 PM
... Anyone know where I can find slip-on booties to cover our work boots..I have a job in a newly carpeted home,(white carpet...of course)and don't want my guys walking around bootless,for insurance/OSHA reasons,as well as the odor factor..we'll be going in and out of the house,as well as being in the attic(naturally)..and it'd be a big P.I.T.A.to have to take shoes on and off..I know they make them,..similar to what interns and doctors might use in a sterile environment..
Russ
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 05:43 PM
I buy them off ebay. You can get them from lots of online sources. Some Home Depot's also have them.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 05:50 PM
... Thanx,man,..I checked a couple o' places around here,and all they have are these hazardous duty-type,germ warfare resistant,flame retarded,bio/chemical,toxic sludge-proof expensive boot thingies.. a little on the extreme overkill side, i.m.o... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I'll keep digging..
Russ
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 05:56 PM
Or, you could put down runners on the carpet. I've seen them in plastic, and in something like kraft paper. I don't know where you would get them, though.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 06:02 PM
... Thanx, Solar,but that would be a problem too,this house is HUGE,and we are gonna be traipsing around all over in it,..I'm gonna continue searching.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: electure Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 06:15 PM
Maybe a local medical supply? If not ........
One of my customers gets them From These Guys for their cleanroom.
$54.50 for 150 pair.
Posted By: caselec Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 06:26 PM
I just purchased some this weekend from a local hardware store chain (OSH) and they were in the paint department. I haven't looked for them a HD but I would try their paint department or a local paint store.

Curt
Posted By: e57 Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 07:28 PM
Oh how I hate "booties". If you're worried about accidents with guys going around in thier socks, think about what it will be like when they fall from a ladder from a slippery bootie, or trip over them as they walk. (Un-deniable comp' claim!) I have had some close calls on ladders with them, and refuse to wear them!

Normally, the GC will put site protection in contract for carpet and floor protection on-site. It is after all a "work" site, even if it is someones house. If it is work we do on our own, we put it in contrct. There a thousand ways to do it, but covering the floor for protective reasons is going to save in the long run. IMO! Booties are just plain impeding to production. Ladders, tools, debries, spilled paint etc. dropping on the floor will do far more damage than foot traffic. Especially, if going in and out of an attic. Most GC's we work with will do the whole work area in craft paper, than thermoply over that. Pull it up when the job is done, save the thermoply for the next job, toss the paper. We use this stuff called "carpetech"(?), its plastic stick down runner, and good old fashion drop-cloths to suppliment it, and some good house-keeping at the end of the day. Add the cost to the job...

We use stuff simular to this: http://www.carpetbarrier.com/carpetbarrier.htm
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 10:19 PM
HD has them in the paint department. Myself my boots just slip off so I don't wear them walking thru a non work area in a clean house.

Tom
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 11:42 PM
I can tell you from experience that cleanroom booties are a royal pain in the... [Linked Image]

They're also not the most stable things to be walking around in.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Booties.. - 03/20/05 11:49 PM
I bought mine from U-Line www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_976.asp

(www.uline.com search for booties)
Posted By: CRM Re: Booties.. - 03/21/05 12:27 AM
Don't wear them, never will. Just bring two pairs of shoes with you, one for inside, one for outside.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Booties.. - 03/21/05 03:10 AM
CRM has it. As long as this is not a site where "work boots" are required you can just wear what you would if you were visiting your boss's house. My wife carries a pair of clean sneekers in the truck when she needs to do more than she can do in her socks.
I agree "booties" might by an "actionable" hazard if one of your guys falls off a ladder.
Posted By: BigB Re: Booties.. - 03/21/05 03:25 AM
I'd like to see booties that would fit over my size 15 shoes!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Booties.. - 03/21/05 05:19 AM
Hefty bags?
Posted By: DougW Re: Booties.. - 03/21/05 07:20 PM
Grainger
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Booties.. - 03/22/05 01:56 PM
...Cool,...thanx,gang,..now I'm deliberating carpet runners,vs.booties,or both..I just want to keep the H.O. happy,and keep my guys safe as well... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
© ECN Electrical Forums