Bill
I have personally taken and passed two test that had a practical part of the tests. State of Wyoming and the old New Mexico both required a test taker to bend conduit wire ud a transformer, wire up a door bell circuit from two different points, wire up a motor contactor control, and 3 way and 4 way switches in a lighting circuit.
No other state or the experior test had anthing but a written exam in my experience.
I have master and or journeyman license in Nebraska, Council Bluffs Ia. and South Dakota active. I have had licenses in Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, and mississippi,- since let those lapse because I do not work there anymore.
For all of those licenses and tests I had to show a least 4 years experience before I could take the test. Those Licenses show that I can pass code tests. They show that I am supposed to correctly know what I am doing. The do not guarentee that any work done will be 100% correct. Only I can do that. I have known some who have also passed these tests been licensed and donot give a damn. Thier work speaks for it self.
Most of the electricians who go to the trouble of getting licensed and staying current do good work.

ed