Using RG-6 Quad Shield only when absolutely needed is my motto too! Terminating the stuff is more time consuming and difficult - and more $$$.
If there are factors which require its use, I will gladly install the stuff - and without complaining either! [Linked Image]

There were two instances where I installed "Normal" RG-6 Dual Shield Cable (Residential remodel/additions) , and some Clown came along who tried convincing the Client that what I had installed would not work - and "Quad Cable" must be used.
One Clown was a Neighbor, the other was a Cable TV Service rep.
In each case, CATV service was active at the location (from pole to the house and in service), just not connected to any premisis wiring yet (terminating resistor on cable).

To make a clear point that the install would work (and by "not working", was described as "totally distorted picture" to "nothing but snow"), I hooked up the complete MATV structure, and placed several TV sets on the system - at various locations and one at the farthest outlet/longest run.
Turned on the sets, and picture quality was beautiful for all.

Too bad the Clowns were not there to witness this (or rebut to their prior statements!).

Seems like the Quad Shield thing is another one of those "My Freind/Neighbor/Cousin/etc. has a 400 Amp Service, I want one too!" kind of scenarios!

As to the use of CAT 3 for Voice lines, I agree with Hal. Easier to deal with the longer twising ratio for simple voice terminations.

There have been times where I used standard CAT 5 (not CAT 5 enhanced), because I had several near full boxes left over - and it was a different color jacket than the data line cable I was planning to install.

Just wanted to throw in some words.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!