We buy quad shield to avoid the chance of interference. A waste of money? Maybe...

No offence, but whenever I see quad shield or CAT5 all over the place it screams that the job was done by someone not familiar with the work or the materials available.

Just like there are many types of electrical wire, there are different types of cables for these applications and each has a reason for being used. To simply use one that you consider the best or whatever is available is like wiring all 15 and 20 amp branch circuits with #8 wire. The same logic could be applied- it can't hurt and what if they needed to use the wiring for something else later. If you saw a job done like that you would wonder where the guy was coming from and it's the same with communications wiring. A good design along with the proper choice and installation of materials shows that the person has a good understanding of what is going on and why.

If you are going to prewire you are up to bat first and other people will have to rely on your decisions and knowledge. So, when I see suitable coax with the right connectors properly installed, a mix of CAT5 and 4 pair CAT3 and no boxes in the walls for the jacks I am pretty confident that the customer got a good job and I won't have any problems when I get there to complete the systems.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 10-22-2004).]