Justinelect - Which bodies did you research? How much did you pay for your body? I'd rather install the body myself, so I got the quote from a distributor near where my dad lives. My dad can pick up the painted and set up body with a flatbed trailer, and we can install it together in his shop. Unfortunately, the quote seemed real high. I'll call around for prices around me, and see if I can get that guy to come down a bit. If do get a Knapheide, it will be the 796FJ40. I really like the 700 series because it has the 500 style on the curb side of the body. The longer horizontal door on the curb side comes in handy. It's a good place to store fish sticks, flex bits, etc.

Regarding the hinge you are referring too, I think the Reading has the same type too. Is this the style?
[Linked Image from readingbody.com]
I never gave it much thought. It makes sense that the hinge bar not traveling the full length of the door would be weaker. Of course, you'd have to treat the body rather poorly to let it rust out like that.

My dad has a Knapheide on one of his trucks, and the vertical doors have gas shocks instead of springs. I'm not sure if that is a Knapheide option though. I believe the body is on a 1998 or 1999 Ford. I spoke with a distributor and they said Knapheide only offered the springs. Any ideas? I guess I could always call Knapheide tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-21-2004).]