I was wondering how do some of you bid new plans.
What do you do when you get a set of prints that does not have enough receptacles, 3 way switches, lights, GFI's, smoke detectors, etc.? Do you take the time to draw them in and add to the proposial? Or do you count up what is on the plans and price that only? If so when do you add these in? When the rough starts or are some waiting to see if the inspector catches it?

For the GC that I am established with I think they like all the adds figured in. No changes requested no changes in price. To make the job go on budget.

The problem is with new GC's or when a GC compeats against another GC. The customer has a incomplete or poor electrical print. The arhchitec always has a disclaimer at the bottom of plans. When it gets priced out some EC don't figure anything that is not on the print. The other EC appear way cheaper on the bottom line but the prices are more per opening. I don't know what happens to their price at the end.

I think I lost a number of jobs this way not because of my prices are too per high per opening but because I add things that shoud be done weather the inspector catches it or not.

Anyways I am starting a few jobs with a new GC. I priced out them out and added what is required. The GC came back with why I have so many of this and that and I am too much. He said just price them per print only then make what is required an add. So that is what I did.

I think I sould get more for an add because it is more messing around. The workers have to jump around the job to add things. More details to keep track of and adjustments of price. Also tring to colect money on those extras. I don't plan on hitting them too hard like some out there.

Is this just warning signs to stay away from these GC's? I asked the same GC about any service requirements for a remodel (nothing on print). He said just price out a new 200a underground. He must of forgot that the old was an overhead and the panel needed to be relocated across the building.

Fun Times,

Tom