I may be off topic. I really don't even know how this topic started but I figure that HVAC isn't work for the simple minded.

AC/refrigeration work takes some brains. You don't have to be a genius to do it but there's alot to know and it takes some smarts to master it.

I wouldn't expect an HVAC guy to be able to safely wire a bank of 3ΓΈ motor starters or install an emergency backup generator and transfer switches, or any of the more complicated projects a licensed electrician would be expected to do. (Although anybody that can follow the controls wiring on some of the more complex HVAC systems might be able to wire the space shuttle)

But a guy that can troubleshoot and repair HVAC equipment has to be smart enough to learn to run a single 220V circuit from the panel to the disconnect box without killing anybody.

I'm real comfortable with AC pros doing that much electrical. These guys spend most of their troubleshooting time on electrical circuits anyway. It's not a foreign trade to them.

I know the law says no...but I'm not a fan of a large part of the law. I try to do what's right and what makes sense.

I know I'll get pounded for saying this but bring it on...I can take it.

And for your electricians who want to charge your own AC. I say go for it. Global warming is pretty much considered bunk now anyway and you could learn to charge one correctly in about 10 minutes. I'll loan you my tools.