Spark-Flash Master,

It's a tough situation. I think you've set yourself to be a tool crib for every turkey who isn't sharp enough to be prepared.

As for me, well, if someone wants to borrow something from me, and I think it's someone who's just been too lazy (or stupid) to bring their own, I ask 'em "Why are you asking me? Where are your tools?"

Basically I try to make 'em feel stupid--aversion therapy. They stop asking after a while.

If it's the first time they're asking, I may give 'em the benefit of the doubt and loan the tool--but I look 'em in the eyes and say before I give it to 'em, "I need this right back--and I mean right back". If it doesn't come right back, I go get it. If they damage it, I make it clear that they're going to give me the $$ right now to replace it. Never came to blows over it, but close.

If it's someone who's a habitual borrower (I should say asker), I just say "Nah, I'm needing it right now, go ask someone else."

And yea, some guys get real bent out of shape about this. I don't really care; they're probably not gonna have anything I need, anyway.

If someone on my crew or a fellow sub who I've worked with (and I know and trust) asks, and they're in a jam, I let 'em borrow what they need, no static. And they bail me out, like if I need a second set of big channels.

It's all about setting limits...

Good luck--

Cliff