When I first started, I tried using a pipe cutter to section my EMT, and had the typical result - big sharp burr on the end, reduced I.D., and it took longer to ream the cut end than it would have to use hacksaw. Went back to using saw.

Then I started w/ new foreman, who showed me the proper tubing cutter method.

The goal isn't to use the cutter to cut all the way through the pipe (ie like copper water line) - essentially what you're doing is scoring the outside 1/3 to 1/2 of the tube. Then, you put it in your Benfield and apply pressure to the thin section of EMT - tubing fails at notch, leaving reasonably clean break.

Ream end with conduit reaming pliers, channellocks, *Ideal or Klien screwdriver reamers... whatevers your fancy.

*BTW, Ideal makes a screwdriver reamer called the BurMaster - a lot like the Klien, but shorter - only about 5" OAL, instead of the Klien's 8". I'll get a link & post it.

http://www.idealindustries.com/IDEAL-EZ/products.nsf/ItemMasterLookup/p35-083?OpenDocument

Once you get the trick of doing it, it's fast, and you can shorten an exisiting run while at height without having to stabilize it for a hacksaw, or run a sawzall up the ladder. (It can also be done with conductors in the EMT, but that's another story [Linked Image] )

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 09-22-2003).]