Don't sweat it. At least you have a job outside the Ivory Tower of Academia.

Worked my way through school as grocery clerk. Got grief from fellow students - "why work? Just take out loans." No thank you. At least I can put food on the table while you starve.

Got grief when I changed job intention from teacher to police officer about "working for The Man" (Who pays teacher's salaries, folks? Hmmm?")

Got my Bachelor's in '89.

Got job as tech geek.

Got laid off.

Got job as Firefighter. (HS/GED; Ability to read and follow simple instructions)

Get grief about being BC - why am I doing this job? Tell 'em I chose this line of work. Just like being an electrician.

I like looking back at the end of the day, and saying:

"I made this"

All the computer weenies can shove it. Yeah, they make more money, but $$ don't make you happy. And Computer code doesn't keep you dry at the end of the day, or power your espresso machine, or your computer (DUH)...

[war story]Of course, on the flip side - Got asked by one of my FD bosses "what are you wasting your time on that stuff for?" while studying my electrician correspondence class one evening.

Get this - He digs sewer trenches as his side job with the Laborers, and takes great pride in never having attended college.

(So even a BC can rag a BC. I mean no 'fense to 'em, but a ditch digger bitching about a guy certifying as a spark? Get real.[/war story]