I'm not much on sci-fi movies, which comes from reading too many books, and then being disappointed when the movie came out.

Many years ago, our town had a city library. I started reading just sci-fi (skipping fantasy), starting with the A's. I skipped over a few I had read before that (such as Asimov), but stuck with it until the middle of the alphabet, when the city decided to build a new library.

I couldn't remember where I left off, and had no way to tell, so I started with the Z's and worked backwards.

That worked great until, around the middle again, I quit for awhile. Did not have to much spare time for reading. I did (don't tell the librarian!!) make a reference mark in the front of the book, with my initials and month/year, so I could keep track.

I recently started up again, and again started with the A's. There sure is alot of junk sci-fi out there, but a few gems. I am now at Arthur C. Clark, so I think I will be here for awhile. He is fast becoming one of my favorites. One thing I tried to do was to start with the 1st book in a series, at least as much as the library had on the shelves, which for the most part, they don't.

Unfortunately, the library classifies fantasy as sci-fi, but a quick look at the cover will tell you if you are going to be reading about dragons or spacemen, so that is not much of a problem.

Don't get me wrong, there have been a few good movies, but by and large, they are not hardly as good as a good book, but that seems to be true of all genre.

H.G. Wells is another favorite.

Rick Miell