ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/02/03 02:31 AM
I was just 'talking' to Paul today about something and thought of the Krell. Does anyone remember the Forbidden Planet? The Id?
The huge underground Machine? it's a classic.

I can't help wondering what their Power System looked like ....

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/02/03 03:20 AM
Wasn't Walter Pidgeon the scientist? I think Carol Lynnly? was his daughter.

I wonder how many of us could use that headset to make that ball move? [Linked Image]

Russell
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/02/03 04:06 AM
Ann Francis was the daughter.

some Links:

to Altair IV, Gentleman....\"
The Unofficial Forbidden Planet Home Page
[Linked Image from umich.edu]
(from Images of Krell Technology )
Return of the Krell Machine

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/02/03 07:57 PM
I love Sci-Fi. I grew up watching it, and I still like to watch those lovely old 1950s sci-fi pictures.

Bill and I were chatting about TV sci-fi as well last night. Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent him with some links to British TV shows:

Dr. Who was a long-running show with several different actors playing the lead role over the years (for which there is a perfectly good sci-fi explanation). Ask different generations who was the best "Doctor" and you'll get a rough idea of their ages. [Linked Image]

It was made on a very low budget (by American standards), but has attained something of a cult following, even in America. It's hard to describe this to someone who's not been outside the U.S., but the show certainly exudes a very British atmosphere in its humor, etc.

Here's a summary (go to the Brief Introduction for Beginners link):

A Brief History of Time (Travel): Introduction

Blakes 7 was a much shorter lived series, but it's another show which has attained an almost cult following. The show has much, much darker undertones than you'll find in Star Trek, and was based around a mottley crew of outlaws on the run from an evil federation

What is Blakes 7 ?

I found this comparison while searching, which is pretty accurate:

Star Trek v. Blakes 7

And finally, one of my favorites of the 1970s, Space 1999. Although British produced, it had many American actors, including Martin Landau and Barbara Bain (ex Mission Impossible) and Barry Morse (by which time he'd finished trying to hunt down Richard Kimble to take back to Indiana! <G> ):

SPACE: 1999
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/02/03 08:50 PM
The first one that really snagged me was the short-lived "Men Into Space" in 1959-60. This was about during the time of the more popular Lloyd Bridges and "Sea Hunt." *Campy* Flash Gordon just didn’t do it for me.

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]
Posted By: circuit man Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/02/03 11:31 PM
wow! [Linked Image] glad someone brought this up. i love sci-fi. lost in space,big twilight zone fan.as a matter fact bought every episode on dvd. [Linked Image].also star trek the next generation ,also the old one.anyone else like the above?just rembered one more doctor who.

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 09-02-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/03/03 10:57 AM
I grew up watching many of the Irwin Allen productions as well. To Lost In Space, I'll add Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel .

The latter puts me in mind of the more modern Quantum Leap , which I enjoyed as well.

The Twilight Zone was a great concept for a show. I haven't seen it re-run on British TV for several years.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-03-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/03/03 11:03 AM
robby the robot was a big hit in that movie...
[Linked Image from umich.edu]

btw~ do you know who the ship's captian ( i.e.= leading man) was ?
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/03/03 03:04 PM
I just got done reading H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, which is over 100 years old. What a brilliant wordsmith, such an imagination, great detail that makes you believe it, feel it and see it, he really knew how to put the reader right there. Back when it came out, it must have made people almost forget they didn't have air conditioning. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, and to those who read it long ago, to re-read it. The man had talent.
Posted By: rmiell Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/03/03 07:36 PM
I'm not much on sci-fi movies, which comes from reading too many books, and then being disappointed when the movie came out.

Many years ago, our town had a city library. I started reading just sci-fi (skipping fantasy), starting with the A's. I skipped over a few I had read before that (such as Asimov), but stuck with it until the middle of the alphabet, when the city decided to build a new library.

I couldn't remember where I left off, and had no way to tell, so I started with the Z's and worked backwards.

That worked great until, around the middle again, I quit for awhile. Did not have to much spare time for reading. I did (don't tell the librarian!!) make a reference mark in the front of the book, with my initials and month/year, so I could keep track.

I recently started up again, and again started with the A's. There sure is alot of junk sci-fi out there, but a few gems. I am now at Arthur C. Clark, so I think I will be here for awhile. He is fast becoming one of my favorites. One thing I tried to do was to start with the 1st book in a series, at least as much as the library had on the shelves, which for the most part, they don't.

Unfortunately, the library classifies fantasy as sci-fi, but a quick look at the cover will tell you if you are going to be reading about dragons or spacemen, so that is not much of a problem.

Don't get me wrong, there have been a few good movies, but by and large, they are not hardly as good as a good book, but that seems to be true of all genre.

H.G. Wells is another favorite.

Rick Miell
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/03/03 08:39 PM
Robert Heinlein was a favorite sci-fi author of mine when I was in school.

John Wyndham also wrote some excellent stories back in the 1930s/1940s. Some things have since been proven false (he envisaged Venus as a quite habitable, if somewhat hot and humid world, for example), but many of his stories are still quite thought-provoking today.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/04/03 02:04 AM
Paul,

I remember all of those shows you mentioned a couple threads above. They were good, I might've been less discerning then, but I remember enjoying them.

Rick,

Wow, I agree about Books being better. I'd bet that many people nowadays wouldn't believe that though. (I sound so old, eh?).

I used to enjoy reading a variety of things and remember some paperbacks that most people probably never heard of. Anyone read "Martians Go Home"? I think they made a low budget movie about it, but it was no comparison to the Book. Another I remember for some reason was "Rule of the Pagbeasts"

I need therapy, I know ... [Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/04/03 02:11 AM
btw~ do you know who the ship's captian ( i.e.= leading man) was ?
Sparky,

Do you mean Leslie Nielsen?
I wouldn't have guessed that at all. It's been a long time since I've seen it, I cheated and looked it up.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 09-03-2003).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/04/03 06:37 PM
Bjarny,

Wow! Men Into Space brings back memories.

I had, just a bit before that, been bitten by the SciFi bug while reading Heinlein's Sixth Column. I then devoured A. E. Van Vogt.

Recently, I've been enthralled with the cyberpunk genre, specifically:

William Gibson, Neuromancer
Bruce Sterling, Islands On The Net
Neal Stephanson, Snow Crash
Posted By: classicsat Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/04/03 07:41 PM
I am partial to Phillip K. Dick stories,
at least how they are adapted to screen.

I also enjoy watching Dr. Who when it becomes available.

I partially watch SCi-Fi for the futuristic
set design.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/04/03 09:00 PM
been bitten by the SciFi bug while reading Heinlein's Sixth Column.
Rendez-Vous With Rama was the story which introduced me to his work.
Posted By: cubby964 Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/05/03 05:19 PM
Just saw that "Space 1999" is coming back to cable TV this fall.
Can't remember what station...think it might be TBS?
Posted By: DougW Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/06/03 01:47 PM
Surprised it's not SciFi channel.

And hey, let's remember...

Nowdays, it's called Speculative Fiction [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Any Sci-Fi Fans here? - 09/06/03 02:26 PM
Speaking of the Sci Fi channel, I'm not sure when this took place.

Last summer, the cable television company that serves Columbia, S.C., aimed a camera full-time at an aquarium to occupy a vacant channel, which was awaiting the September start-up of the Science-Fiction Channel. When Sci-Fi replaced the "fish channel," complaints were so numerous that the company was forced to find another channel for the aquarium, which now runs 14 hours per day, sharing time with the Bravo channel.
[Linked Image]

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums