Sven,
I was involved in several areas during Y2K. One article I wrote and handed out to lots of strange groups was on generator safety. Then got involved with a ham on Channel 4 news who also spread the word.

Most homeowners would not consider the jumper cable routine, but will not hesitate to proclaim themselves geniuses when they think of installing 2 male cord caps and backfeeding their dryer/welder/A/C outlet. They do not think about turning off their mains, and this is VERY dangerous to lineys. I warned all my guys at the time, and sent up the red flag to all in the area through Civil Defense type organizations (they were taken over by Hams years ago as RACES [Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service] or ARES {Amateur Radio Emergency Service}, in some states they perform seperate functions, in VA they are one and the same.

It is something that cannot be said enough though, so sing out proudly.

The only consolation is the thought of some genius trying to feed an entire circuit with a 5 KW Coleman he bought at the big orange box.... Let's face it, it ain't gonna last long.