It really depends on the locale, as Sparky sez...

At my VFD (under Illinois law), we can allow someone to perform interior structural FF ops if the AHJ feels the person has "demonstrated appropriate knowledge and abilities to perform the required tasks" or some such language. In my VFD, that mean you've been through the SCBA classes, been through a few "live (training burns" out at the drill building, and know what hoses are used when - generally about 6-9 months of weekly drills. (Of course, there have been times when we've gotten fires in the middle of the day, and if you're breathin', you're going in, cause we're not getting a whole lot of folks showing up. Generally, it's the officer's call)

On my paid dept, the "industry standard" is 10 weeks of full-time "academy" training - 8 weeks for FFII (a 240 hr state certification - basically the entire IFSTA Essentials), plus two 40-hour classes - one in HazMat Awareness/ops, and one for Technical Rescue (confined space/trench/high angle) Awareness. Of course, that's just to ride the BRT (big red truck) [Linked Image]. Most of the FT departments in the Chicago metro are providers of Paramedic level EMS, so there's EMT Basic, and then Paramedic as well. (five and eleven months, respectively, plus clinical and field time). For a full-time gig, it's basically a two year period before you're really "street ready".

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 07-20-2003).]