Just so that there are no differences in terms between me and the US fire-fighters, I would like to submit some basic terms to this thread:
  • Delivery= Hose(from the Appliance to the fireground)
  • Branch=Nozzle(this should be self-explanatory)
  • Appliance= Pump(see below)
  • PRT= Pump rescue tender(While our Appliances are not called Tenders), this is an appliance that carries both Fire-fighting AND Rescue Gear, with an Air Compressor for spreaders and cutting gear.
    This is normally an initial turn-out appliance.
  • BA=Breathing Apparatus, anyone who has been a Fire-fighter should know what this means!.
  • Suction hose= Big hose used to draught water out of creeks,streams and swimming pools, normally with a strainer on the end!.
  • Turn-out Crew= One Officer(Senior Fire-fighter or Higher Rank), Driver(again being a Qualified FF or SFF, with Driver and Pump Operation Quals) and two Qualified Fire-Fighters or Senior Fire-fighters, in the back seat!. [Linked Image].
  • Our hoses are ALL in millimetres in diameter, but, I can convert them all in my head,so I don't think there's a problem there, guys!.

If anyone would like to submit a similar list of terms, peculiar to the US w/ regard to Fire-Fighting, that would be cool!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-05-2003).]