The NEC has been written and perpetually updated to keep pace with the ever-changing nature of our business. It is done by numerous committees each time, with collective “heads” greater than mine. It is a “minimum standard” and not an installation manual. In each of the responses to the initial post, I find something to agree with.

I find that there are a lot of “installers” that go through the motions of putting in pipe, cable, gear & fixtures. They may know the basics, and the mechanics of putting in what they have become familiar with, and making it work. To some extent, the trade needs a portion of people that are installers. I have taken these views because I have given up on the idyllic view that everyone that installs electrical wiring must be of similar proficiency. I’m too old, and my mind can’t argue with what my eyes see any longer. Perhaps the “installers” will be overseen by real “tradespeople” so that the product the customer gets is safe and of value.

On the other hand, there are professional “tradespeople” that commit themselves to their industry. This is not their “job”, it is their “ career” or in some cases, their lives. I’d like to believe that I belong to this group. I too, am always learning, always working to advance my knowledge of the trade, and all that it has become. I try to keep up with technology, and make myself a more valuable and “saleable” product.

I took and passed my first master electrician’s test when I was 20. I’m still taking tests. I always found that a huge light bulb went on when I was able to put something into practice in the field, by my own hand, after I had read it in a book. It was a huge source of the feeling of accomplishment. Perhaps, I’m different. I was self-taught.

I remember sending out both ½ and ¾” thinwall to a project when I was working as a deliveryman for an electrical contractor at the age of 16. The wire was TW. GFI’s didn’t exist. Recessed fixtures were limited to over the kitchen sink and maybe a couple of other places. New home services were 100 amps. That was just over 25 years ago. Now everything is ½”, THHN, 200A services, and scads of cans. And it gets done in much less time. Some residential contractors tell me that their profit margin is so slight, any hiccups can cause them too loose money. I could believe that the lack of any time to train on the job just promotes the creation of “installers” rather than professional tradespeople.