Luminate,
There aren't any easy answers about what or what not to study. The answer is to study, and continue to study until the goal is achieved. The difficult thing about that is, wading through all the information until you find out what is needed. One way to do that is to buy a study guide for residential work. Another way would be to take a class, seminar, etc.
I wish that I could do something to stop the "hurry up" attitude. I have 13 projects that I'm responsible for. Of those 13, 8 were started by a different superintendent. I don't know the status of all 8 jobs, but several that I have looked at, are in terrible shape because of the hurry up attitude. "Hurry up" is costing me 7,500 of #4 copper wire (7.5K not a typo). Why? Because someone got into a big hurry, and pulled the wire in with a backhoe, and no wire lube. Regardless of what is happing to me, or anyone else out there in the industry, the man in the field is responsible for his own education. I hate to say that. I wish that more journeymen would take it upon themselves to help apprentices, but their not doing it. That's why these "helpers" must educate themselves.
When you do find a journeyman who is willing to educate, it makes him that much more valuable.
I'm convinced that this problem will never be fully resolved. I believe that these matters must be handled on an individual basis.

Luminated2,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX