Big A,

I was in this business for 25 years. I worked for an electrician, and was in my own business, and now I work full time as an inspector. There is both good and bad on both sides of the fence. ( Isn't there always. [Linked Image])In being my own boss. I could start work when I wanted and take off when I wanted. With a full time job I have to do what my boss wants. Being in my own busniss, I had to do all the emergency work even though I had 5 employees. So if a building went doqn at midnight, I was the first one on the job. When I work for the town, it is rare that I have to go out at nights or on weekends. Only when a contractor needs a service inspected. When I was in business I had to constantly chase for my money and I always had to make sure my guys were paid each week. I was lucky to be able to cash a check once a month sometimes. With the town, I get paid every two weeks. For vacations, my men would cover for me, with the town, I have to find a replacement for me and work at his schedule. Sometimes I can't take two weeks off at one time. In my own, no benes, but the town gives me some dental and doctor. When I drove down the street and had 4 trucks it looked inpressive. Now I drive a town truck. When I worked for GC's they use to always yell and try to get the job down faster and cheaper. For the town, I tell the contractors when a job passes inspection. Shall I go on? I can list another dozen or so. Long story short, there is good and bad about being in your own business.