I work for a large engineering/construction company. All of our engineers in a supervisory role are registered, and most are Master Electricians. We do engineering and design for many of the major Fortune 500 companies, and many who are not in that category. We all have to know the NEC and how to apply its various rules. Most of the young engineers just out of college don't yet know the NEC, but are getting a few lessons in learning. All that I work with have been given the instructions to get registered (as an engineer) and to pass the Journeymens and Masters exams. I worked with one engineer that told me the Masters exam was harder than the PE. Maybe she was just smart. But she is actually a good engineer, and could probably teach the NEC.
Like some of the other posters here on this board, I feel the NEC could be written in a more understandable down to earth language to make it more readily applicable. However, I just don't see that happening any time soon. Its people like Joe, Mike Holt, Charlie Trout, and a few others that make the NEC understandable. My thanks go to these and others around the country who dedicate themselves to the safe use of electricity.
Just my 2 cents worth.