Well, there's the problem, in one quote:

"the probability of fire ignition due to arc faults increases"

Paschen's law, as explained, asserts that there simply cannot be an arc between copper electrodes, through air, at less than 327 volts.

Forget 'probability.' There is NO probability, ZERO chance, if something is physically impossible.

Either "Paschen's law" is in error, or AFCI's cannot work at household voltages (American or European). Period. Ever - because there cannot be an arc at household voltages. One might as well claim to detect unicorns.

Reno,
the entire definition of 'arc' is literally being turned inside out by manufacturer paid studies

but we can have arcs @ 120v, heck we can arc a doorbell circuit, the jist is it's sustainable incendiary effect

I'm rather weary of convoluted 'conspiracy' theories, where some miracle product is being held back by an evil cabal, working behind the scenes, pulling strings. During the "oil crisis" of the 70's, there were all manner of claims regarding "400 mpg" carburetors and engines that ran on water. All, naturally, being held back by "big oil."

The only conspiracy would be big $$$ protecting it's turf.

Frankly, even IF the AFCI industry were filled with evil trolls, a totally separate technology would be beyond their grasp. The French would rush to embrace it, if only to be 'different' from everyone else.

"Manufacturers' don't want ...." Ha! As if 'they' ever agreed on anything. It wasn't so long ago that our computers were bombarded by links claiming there was a simple way to make your own power, and that the 'energy companies didn't want you to know about it.' (Gee, I wonder where that guy went?)

I submit that, if the entire might of the civilized world cannot prevent third-world mud pits from developing nuclear weapons, then there is no way any 'manufacturers' could block new technology.

Blocking and Owning technology are two distinctions that apply here. Thus the patent wars , and yes there have been multiple thermal copycats that have slipped thru it's loose litigant net....

Lest readers forget, I have no use for AFCI's. That's been discussed many times in other threads. I'm not about to rush to embrace any other unproven ideas.

Remember the 'scientific theory?' Theory - hypothesis - experimentation - verification? It's amazing how many passionately held 'discoveries' fail to be repeatable by others.

Now ... as for detecting "glowing connections:" Assuming it was possible to detect a glowing, high resistance connection ... how could such a device distinguish between a loose terminal, and the operation of an ordinary toaster?

simple point of use thermal dynamics

an old concept re packaged

stupid simple KISS stuff

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 05/30/16 10:56 AM.