Originally Posted by Trumpy
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I did see another interesting thing
You guys use something that looks like Smurf tube (type ENT), outside. That is dry only here.

Greg, that looks like either a plumber or an apprentice installed that.
That stuff is known as Bettaflex here, or flexible medium-duty PVC conduit.
It's used by people that can't use a bending spring on rigid PVC conduit.
Reason I say a plumber may have been involved is that that saddle to the right of the socket-outlet is a pipe saddle made for 3/4" pressure pipe, which is bigger than 20mm conduit. crazy

The pipe looks familiar, the type of installation not really. Usually cable would be used under such circumstances and the conduit would only serve as sleeving with open bends to provide minimal added protection and mainly mechanical fastening. If I remember it I'll take a picture of the wiring in our cellar, which is pretty typical of such rooms.

Occasionally you see that type of light grey rigid conduit used outdoors in direct sunlight. Usually it's all bowed downwards in horizontal runs and cracked all over. Cable has to be UV resistant too but most people don't seem to care at all.

I don't think anyone used a bending spring here from the mid-70s onwards. They're still in manufacturer's catalogues but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere, only for copper plumbing pipes.