I've been following electrical forums for maybe 15 years now - how time flies! - and this scam comes up fairly regularly.

What amazes me is how similar the pitches are- it's like these guys all went to the same scam college.

Tesla's right, of course. No sense letting just anyone see everything. I usually arrange things so there is an entry area, a foyer, that allows someone in, but contains them to a small, bland area. Here is where first contact is made. Every now and again, I get someone visiting on some pretext or other that practically gives themselves whiplash trying to see further into the business.

Ever known for my tact, I've asked at that point if they're looking for something to steal - and send them packing.

Once I had such a person enter, and it taught me all I needed to know. The gent came in 'looking for work,' then asked to use the restroom. Soon after, he was found in the shop, wheeling a trash can full of our tools out the rear. Lesson learned: See them off, and make sure they leave!

It's also why reception gets pretty frosty, pretty quick, the moment the story starts changing. Are you looking for work, a bathroom - or your next victim?

The second thing that rings my "crook alarm" is when I find myself considering a complete stranger my best friend, within minutes of meeting them h first time. I learned this from meth-heads; their social skills are phenomenal. Lower your guard and lose- fast!