JBD...

That's because -- for pure practicality -- every EC I've ever known has addressed the matter at a higher pay grade.

The biggest SCCR situations 'always' involve colapsing magnetic fields: transformer and motor windings.

(Mathematically -- the laws of physics -- are identical for three-phase transformers and three-phase motors. Tesla was so brilliant that he could 'see' this in his mind -- even before the first induction machine was ever built.)

Outside of industrial settings, motor loads are too trivial to impact SCCR calculations; a couple of fractional horsepower motors aren't a worry.

Residential distribution systems -- at least out my way -- are already tuned by the Pocos to the AIC of plain vannila SFH Services. A residentially oriented electrician would never encounter the matter outside of a textbook or a forum on the Internet.

This is also true for all engineered commercial work. Out my way, the EEs have to perform the calculations -- which are tucked into a detail in the prints... right along with Title 24 calculations -- and the certification that these prints meet said standards as of XX-XX-XX.

The ONLY time that electricians have to jump to it: Design-Build. In such instances, the EC becomes the EE for his own installation.

EUSERC rules the rules for Service gear out my way. They are so picky that I don't know quite how you're going to be able to screw things up. EUSERC Pocos only permit a few standardized schemes:

480Y277 3-phase
208Y120 3-phase
240/120 1-phase: center tap grounded, 2 legs

All other Services are either grandfathered ( 240/120 3-phase, center tapped, A to B phases) or by special permission and engineering. (all ungrounded schemes)

(EUSERC Pocos grandfathered their A to B center tapped Services -- leaving the C hot as the wild leg/ bastard leg/ stinger. This is permitted by the NEC as an exception.)

===

Given the above, it's extremely easy to see why countless electricians can go through their entire career without facing SCCR/ AIC issues.

As for legal liabilities: they'd fall all over the EE/EC and his license. The impact is so drastic that no-one wants to trust his j-men to perform said calculations.

The NEC language merely gives the EC no excuses whatsoever. That's why it's in there.

Craft skills taught in school/ apprenticeship are lost when never used. Most of the j-men I know stumble when confronted with even "AIC." They don't even know what exactly that means... for the very same reason.

Their lives are filled with issues of execution -- not design.

The reverse is true. I've run into budding EEs fresh out of college honestly astounded to see their paper plans reduced to practice. (by me, of course) Out comes the camera. It's just too pretty. (if you're an EE or EC)

Tesla