Originally Posted by renosteinke
"never gets called back"

That's the problem the homeowner faces .... even if you do a perfect job, you're never getting called back. They're one-off jobs.

I bet we'd try harder for regular customers.

So I need to improve my drywall and painting skills but I don't actually make any money from it but I might establish a good reputation. Not a lot of motivation there.

As you mention, residential customers don't repeat. So where is the benefit for all the trouble? Like I said all my 33 years I have worked outside of residential as there is just no money and a lot of agro for residential work.

A clean shirt and a good clean up after I am done has satisfied most customers without also learning another trade that might pay back a little? So explain to me again why this is such a good idea?
OK so to a point I have been playing the devils advocate but I still stick to this> I am or at least was a good electrician but at best I am a fair dry waller. So my fair drywall skills might actually have labelled me a bad electrician because the customer judges my work on the finished drywall instead of the all hidden wires square cut outlet box clean floor, replaced insulation and the general look that no one was there working except that lousy drywall patch?
This might work for a few but I still prefer to stick to what I do well and patching ain't it.

Last edited by mikesh; 07/27/12 08:39 PM.