Ethics and realtors? Now, there's a contradiction.

Oddly enough, there are already plenty of laws on this topic. The short version is that the seller has a duty to fully disclose the conditions of the property.

OK, so there's some wriggle room, and the "I didn't know" card gets played a lot. Also, the consequences of getting caught are rather minor, often amounting to no more than undoing the deal.

Think of 'ethics laws' as 'legal popcorn.' Lots of form, little substance, with the effect of actually helping the dishonest to set up his mark.

It's rather hard to play that card, though, when the seller has work done as the result of an inspection and at the buyers' request. The buyer is entitled to full disclosure, and that means he has a right to the complete, unedited invoice.

I once dealt with this exact situation by presenting the invoice to the realtor; by law the realtor represents the seller. The seller was furious, claiming I had killed the deal ... but I simply pointed out that I had delivered the report to HIS agent. Naturally, I did so knowing full well that the realtor was aware of the 'full disclosure' requirements, and wasn't about to risk his license for the seller.

For me, it comes down to the honor code: I will not lie, cheat, or steal; now will I tolerate those who do. That means I do not assist a scam by sticking my head in the sand.

Any assertion of 'confidentiality' is in conflict with 'full disclosure.' Laws trump contracts. Incomplete or misleading statement might open the seller to a slander / libel claim, as they can harm you.

Yet, at the end of the day, we're electricians .... not lawyers. We don't get paid for debating philosophy. That's why so many of us run like mad when we hear the word 'realtor.'