I'll start with this is a GE High Pressure Contact Ground Fault Protected Switch, that's how GE refers to it.
As was explained to me from GE the trip setting is a variable number , really shouldnt go over 1000 milliamps but can be as low as 100 milliamps. So that makes it really clear this is in no way intended or designed to protect personnel, it is to protect equipment only. It is a product of voltage at a given time, current flowing at a given time, voltage drop and resistance. He said if I can give him these numbers at a given time then the trip can be calculated at that instance. I can only assume the window has to be calculated at a 5% voltage drop which is required not to exceed by the NEC. Of course resistance on the system and the voltage and current will play into that, and since the current will fluctuate I can see that number being a variable. He did say maximum trip is calculated with feeder conductors being no longer than 60 ft from source, little confused why the continuation of branch circuits wouldn't affect it. I guess to answer your question would be a no, lol
All in all I'm kind of impressed this is being done real time on a 30+ year old distribution breaker.

Last edited by TNT_Tim; 02/03/12 09:50 PM.