Originally Posted by schenimann
Reno, I am probably in the middle on the tools. I like to have the right tools for the job but I am not a tool magnet, requiring the latest and the greatest. That being said, I did look at the Flex cutter. That is a good looking tool, but it should be for $600.

(http://www.flexnorthamerica.com/docs/FLEX%202011%20Catalog.pdf)

Bosch has a few models too... but they aren't really cheaper. Basically there are two categories of those tools: less than $150 and won't work and $500+ and works like a charm. However, I can only see a reason to use this beast if you have solid plastered brick walls - but in US construction even exterior brick walls were commonly firred out with up to 2x4s, so you can fish wires. I think mainly rural houses older than about 1880 tend to have solid plastered walls. If you do have them, the cutter is a saving grace though. It works much faster and the channels are far more precise rather than jagged and bigger than necessary. If you do lots of work in walls like those, you might want to invest in a rotary hammer with a flat chisel bit, in order to chip out the leftover brick and plaster between the two cuts and for making box openings.

If dust is not an issue, you can use an angle grinder too and run it twice... that's what I did after trying one of the cheap cutters (thankfully I didn't buy one, only borrowed, it was so weak it kept stalling even in soft brick).