Greg, I appreciate the artwork - timely as ever!

In my reply, I was going a step further .... one of the joys of contracting work is when the customer gets more 'clever' with each discussion. It seems they only learn what lies to tell. Lies, as in, "I only want power to my 240v pump in the pump house" or "I only want to store things and have the kids play in the basement."

Then, once the visible, inspected work is completed, it becomes "how can I find a cheap way to work around the rules to get what I really wanted." Things like additional circuits in the pump house or bedrooms in the basement (to kick up the resale price).

Not that I'm inferring anything about this particular OP; this thread will live forever, and any answers we give are sure to be picked up by others with similar desires.

Personally, I'm sick and tird of finding sheds 'powered' by lengths of Romex or extension cord that are 'buried' at grass-roots level. Or, for that matter, someone using the ground wire as a combined neutral/ground to create their 120v circuits.

The NEC is quite explicit: in article 90 it plainly states that simply complying with the code may not result in a job that can be readily changed for future needs. Somehow, folks nevr read that part.