I'm all in for safety as well, but until all device manufacturers are able and willing to play in the same sandbox, I don't see this technology happening in our lifefimes. Granted, if NEMA comes up with a uniform standard, this would be possible. I just don't see that happening in this economy. Not to mention, it appears that TED has all of the patents in place for this technology, with plenty more patents pending.

Has anyone thought about the lightning/surge aspect of such devices? I'd think that it would be a bit difficult for a house full of solid-state electronics in every receptacle (and plug) to not sustain at least one failure during every storm. That is just the nature of the beast.

Lastly, is the typical user of an electrical receptacle really going to look at the LED indicator to make sure that the device they have plugged-in is safe? Of course not. A teenager plugging in the charger for their cell phone or I-Pod certainly has much higher priorities.

Like I said, I'm all in on the safety aspect of things. The problem is that until the human element is eliminated, these devices are useless. There went my two cents for the day....

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."