One of the basic principles of electrical installations is a code change in 2009 does not retroactively force upgrades to work done under a previous code. The original installation must be maintained and still adequate for the original purpose.
Some jurisdictions have upgrade policies and unless the place where your working has such a bylaw I would say you do not have to upgrade recpetacles that were approved under a previous code.
In my jurisdiction if the drywall comes off then the electrical must meet current requirements before the wall can be closed. So in your kitchen reno if they tear out the cabinets and change the tile on the wall I would not require you to Upgrade. Reconfigure the kitchen layout like move sinks, relocate the fridge or range and find the counter plugs don't even meet the original code then upgrades will happen. So if your 14-3 counter plugs are still correctly located You can leave them as installed. New plugs per current code.
Obviously when ever we find that new code requirements are more stringent is is pretty hard to understand why the plug to the right of the sink is GFCI protected on 12-2 with a t slot GFCI and the one on the other side is a split 15.