Every trade, every busines, has its' cycles. What is important to realize is that there is no law that says you have to experience the same thing as your neighbor.

For example, Finland enjoyed a livley economy while the countries around her had the 'Great Depression.' More topical, this very recession has growth for some.

To be specific, the oil business, and those associated with it, are booming. Whether you're relocating to some place where they actually remove oil from the ground (Alberta, North Dakota), or in an associated business (these days I'm making oil pipe), these are the 'good old days.' Central Nevada is experiencing a mining boom as well. I mean, I never thought I'd find work in the poorest county of the poorest state!

By way of contrast, if you're determined to make cars, these days are pretty bleak.

Don't expect the 'media' to help you; they are far more interested in telling you about how rough it is in the housing projects that in telling you of the prosperous new suburb a few streets over. You'll see all manner of coverage of the unemployed in Detroit, and little mention of the hustle & bustle in Minot ND.

In personal terms, it's not enough to 'just' be an electrician. The jobs I see posted require some other skills as well: commercial drivers' license, welding, HVAC certification, stationary engineers' license, instrumentation degrees, etc. There's also - no surprise here - the occasional temp job that involves a labor dispute.

From my own perspective, I've seen several folks quit in the past week. Considering how tight these times are, I can only assume that they found other employment before they quit. This is suggesting that perhaps the turn-around has started.

Sure, it's not all mice and moonlight out there ... but don't let your own self-imposed limitations destroy you.