We have had a short piece removed when the cable was re terminated and the individual strands are in pretty good condition so I am not too concerned that the copper has oxidized to some green paste. Reno I am not concerned about the water in the wire but a drip in equals a drip out. I was only thinking I had to stop the drip in. NJ wirenut, the heat shrink is fine for preventing the water from getting in through the connection but the wires from the transformers into the lugs are transmitting the water that gets in and a compression lug is not stopping the flow. The nature of the wires and splices don't stop water from getting out of 1 wire and flowing into the next. I know 1 mechanism is capillary action and I have seen it raise a column of water a foot or two. If even a few drips of water make it to the weather head it starts to syphon at least a few drips more until the vacuum breaks.
Feather how do you pressurize the wire what tool? If it bubbles the water would stay put wouldn't it?