I think the question "readily accessible by who?" is an issue.

I'm sure everyone here knows that the average person has no clue they even have GFI's in their house, much less have a diligent monthly testing schedule in place.
With this in mind common sense would suggest that those who need to know about GFI protection should dictate what "accessible" means.
Maybe they have future plans to send a "testing crew" door to door to enforce such procedures. Can't be too safe you know.

I just finished installing two 20A GFI's in a 2gang right at the access panel of a jacuzzi tub.(pre tub install) The access panel being under the adjoining vanity. No fun for anyone who needs to service the pump or heater for sure. No fun for me if one of those GFI's goes out anytime soon either. But they are accessible, just not readily so.
I could have put them in the closet (no adjoining wall) and have before, but the last time we built this house the tub had the pump and motor coming into jbox on the tub and I had to use a 2 pole GFI breaker and a double pole switch under the tub deck. (not in my bid BTW)
This time we have a different plumber and a different tub. One of the realities is how do you set up for these unknowns?

If a GFI tripped odds are the attached equipment is in need of a looksy. In 99% of those cases the nearer to the equipment in question the better for those doing the service.

In the case of the spa tub, when it stopped working it doesn't matter if they called the plumber or the electrician first, they are both going straight for the access panel as the first step in troubleshooting. We would, of course, pull the plugs and see if the GFI's reset. The plumber would try to reset the GFI and if it doesn't, then tell the owner to call us. Then we do as described above. If they reset we tell them they have a ground fault in their equipment and it needs to be repaired/replaced. Bring back the plumber.
As bad as all of that already is do we need to complicate it further by hiding the protection from the serviceman?

If they want to add that kind of language then they should go the full distance and define different types of usage and what "readily accessible" means to each type. Your average kitchen, bath and exterior GFI protection is usually, by nature of efficient design, readily accessible anyway. Those are the only ones the above average owner is likely to test.
You will always have to do a bit looking to find the GFI even in these cases unless you want to get ridiculous and install a device in every box in these areas. Maybe that's what they will push next.

Or they could just leave it the heck alone. Right, not going to happen.

Last edited by ChicoC10; 09/22/09 07:07 PM.