This kind of conduit has been discontinued some time around 1965 and there's now way to find couplings except for scrounging old materials. Modern steelcouplings don't fit either since the standard diameters have been changed (old conduit was measured by interior diameter, modern is measured by exterior diameter).

The screw is close to a junction box though, so I might try to find a short piece of conduit and a coupling somewhere else - I already removed a few sticks of the same old conduit.

This is turning more and more into a full rewire I guess... but after all that was to be expected.

The full rewiring will start once the gas, water and radiant heat plumbing is in. Plumber is supposed to send an estimate this week.

Nice puzzler for you: there's a kitchen and a bedroom, living room whatever next to it, connected by a door. Why does one put a keyless light socket above the door in the bedroom and the switch in the kitchen?
The wiring was original to the house, cloth wire in conduit, original switch and socket probably original too.

I don't have the slightest idea...