Last week I removed a lot of wiring that came loos upon removing the plaster. Two rooms are now down to just one overhead light and switch. The ugly surface mount receptacles have been left in place to provide temp power - this is the only wiring I trust.

NIce find: a screw driven through the conduit that feeds the living room light - I got bitten touching the pipe and upon removing more plaster found the screw drilled right through. One more run to repull or even replace the conduit (no way to tell whether the hole has sharp edges inside the conduit that could damage new wire pulled through). Unfortunately the conduit runs underneath the attic insulation and we stored all furniture up there...
Maybe just run exposed conduit (painted brown of course) along one beam - the traditional way.

I also removed the extension cord feeding an outbuilding... the flex was in surprisingly good shape after some 10 years in direct sunlight (the cheap plasti strain relief clamps in the plug and trailing sockets had long since given up trying to hold 2.5mm2 flex though). My parents said they want power out there, so we'll likely bury some 2.5mm2 NYY (underground feeder) I got for free and wire the place with appropriate fittings (just got a load of weatherproof IP55 fittings).